Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.



















16 October 2013 14.20
Day 1

1 hour before landing, checking out the weather outside by my 10A window seat, the weather is so gorgeous, blue sky, white cloud, the sea, coastline of Italy, everything, it really didn't quite hit me that I am going to be in Europe soon. I seated next to a girl that work in Shanghai and now back to Italy for some exams. She looks a bit cold but in fact was really friendly because she was playing with this little Chinese baby and trying to speak Chinese to her. I ended her asking her about direction for the boat that I need to talk after I land.

It wasn't difficult at all t the airport, I spotted my backpack right away, got the port details and head out to buy the boat ticket at the counter, the cashier was friendly and she speaks English. The boat ride costs me 15euro, but it's a good way to get around Venice, I heard. I got the direction that I should take left after I got out from the airport and walk straight until the end where I will find the boat, I got there without any problem and board right away. Later I found out from my friend actually the 15euro is the airport changers for boat, if you get it from the outside the rate will be much cheaper, that doesn't come as a surprise at all.

I texted my friend letting him know I will be there soon, the excitement slowly comes to me at this point as the boat cruise around the canal and passing by a lot of buildings, the sound of the water, the people on the boat, families, couples young and old all come here in Venice be it for holiday, business or coming home. As the boat cruise i feel the chill on my face with a ray of warm sun, Venice is beautiful.

After about 75min, I arrived at my stop Arsenale, where I saw my friend and his friend both waited there, it's a wonderful feeling to see a friend especially in his own country. We greet, hug each other and he was asking me about the flight and all, plus also made fun of me on my bigger than me back pack. Well, I really did pack light and I don't want to be underprepared knowing the weather condition is much much different than my own country.

After a short few minutes walk we arrived at vicenzo home, it's really nice and comfortable, right smack in the center of Venice where everywhere is easily accessible. I drop my bag and chit chat for a while with them as in Italy is a normal work day, so I have this luxury of having a vacation while other people working. How nice is that. So then everyone go about minding their own business, going to doctor, meeting deadline, that left my friend and I. After which he asked me what's the plan, where I really just leave it up to him to decide. I wasn't particularly hungry and the jet lag hasn't hit me, so we decided to grab a bag and walk around the canal a bit more where one of the top tourist reaction is just few minutes away.

Everyone in Venice walk. So if you don't like to walk you shouldn't be in Venice, good thing is I like to walk. We memorize the little street so that we will not get lost and can't find our way back home. Then we started to walk where my friend slowly tell me about the surroundings, some history and background of the building as much as he could, I know he's not an expert, tour guide or anything, I appreciate it and listen to it as much as I can, but overall I just really snapping pictures away, really enjoying the view and Venice. It feels surreal and quite amazing to finally be here. It's really nice to see you I told my friend, in another way, this way.

We walk about about 30-45min the day is getting dark, so we slowly walk back to get ready for dinner, we chatting about nothing in particular, just updating each other about our lives, work, financial crisis, English grammar, playing catch up and all, exactly like how it suppose to be. Just that we've been friend for quite a while, it'll be unnatural not to do all that.

So in a foreign country, you have the intention to act local eat local, drink local, so my friend and I walk along his favorite street in Venice where i kinda understand why he likes it because that like the most street like looking street, unlike all the little back alley. We went into a small little bar, he ordered for me a drink called Spritz where it's a type of drink typically venician will have, but to my taste bud  it's just bitter. So I don't take that so we'll, but if enjoy tryi new thing nevertheless. Then we pack up a few mini burgers and it's time to go home.

I really do nothing much after coz the jet lag hits me real hard that I went to bed at 8pm, I said good night to everyone and hoping that tomorrow will be a better day........then now here I am typing in this entry at 6am in the morning where I have already woken two hours before.

Jet lag oh jet lag, let's hope it gets better, coz my friend here just snoring away beside me.......oh we'll, let me try and get another hour of sleep then.

Ciao!

No comments: