Friday, March 4, 2011

I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened















Keating is seated at his desk. He is writing a letter and occasionally
looks up at the framed photo on his desk of a woman playing the cello.
There is a knock at the door.

KEATING
It’s open.

Neil enters and closes the door behind him. He appears to be nervous.

KEATING
Neil, what’s up?

NEIL
Can I speak to you a minute?

KEATING
Certainly. Sit down.

Neil goes to take a seat but notices the chair is piled up with books.
Neil picks them up and Keating gets up from his seat to help him.

NEIL
I’m sorry. Here.

KEATING
Excuse me. Get you some tea?

NEIL
Tea. Sure.

Keating goes to a table in the corner and begins pouring several cups.

KEATING
Like some milk or sugar in that?

NEIL
No, thanks.

NEIL
Gosh, they don’t give you much room
around here.

KEATING
No, it’s part of the monastic oath. They
don’t want worldly things distracting me
from my teaching.

Keating gives Neil a cup of tea and they return to their seats. Neil
looks at the photo on the desk.

NEIL
She’s pretty.

KEATING
She’s also in London. Makes it a little
difficult.

NEIL
How can you stand it?

KEATING
Stand what?

NEIL
You can go anywhere. You can do
anything. How can you stand being here?

KEATING
‘Cause I love teaching. I don’t wanna be
anywhere else.

KEATING
What’s up?

NEIL
I just talked to my father. He’s making
me quit the play at Henley Hall.
Acting’s everything to me. I– But he
doesn’t know. He– I can see his point.
We’re not a rich family like Charlie’s,
and we– But he’s planning the rest of
my life for me, and I– H-He’s never
asked me what I want.

KEATING
Have you ever told your father what you
just told me? About your passion for
acting. You ever show him that?

NEIL
I can’t.

KEATING
Why not?

NEIL
I can’t talk to him this way.

KEATING
Then you’re acting for him, too. You’re
playing the part of the dutiful son. I
know this sounds impossible, but you
have to talk to him. You have to show
him who you are, what your heart is.

NEIL
I know what he’ll say. He’ll tell me
that acting’s a whim, and I should
forget it. That how they’re counting on
me. He’ll just tell me to put it out of
my mind, “for my own good.”

KEATING
You are not an indentured servant. If
it’s not a whim for you, you prove it to
him by your conviction and your passion.
You show him that And if he still
doesn’t believe you, well, by then
you’ll be out of school and you can do
anything you want.

A tear falls down Neil’s cheek and he wipes it away.

NEIL
No. What about the play? The show’s
tomorrow night.

KEATING
Well, you have to talk to him before
tomorrow night.

NEIL
Isn’t there an easier way?

KEATING
No.

NEIL
I’m trapped.

KEATING
No, you’re not.

No comments: